Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Does Anybody Cook Anymore?

Growing up, we didn’t dine out very much. We lived in a rural area and going out to eat was 20 or 25 minute trip. On the weekends, we might eat out but even then it wasn’t a regular thing. My mom prepared something every night when she got home from work. When I was a teenager, I would help out and get dinner started for her. It was just the way it was.

When I moved to a more populated area, I was amazed at how often people dined out. I admit when I first moved out of our small town it was a treat to go through a drive-thru on the way home or order takeout. But it soon grew tiresome. I like to prepare my own meals and I know I’m healthier when I do that.

I’m amazed though at how many people NEVER cook. I just don’t get it. I hear people say, “Well it’s cheaper to eat out when there’s only two of us.” Well, there’s only two humans in our house too and I sure don’t think it’s cheaper for us to dine out every night. I also know a lot of people who don’t even fix their own coffee opting to stop at McDonald’s or Starbucks on their way to work. I guess it’s my small town roots again but a fancy coffee is a treat not an everyday thing. And honestly, I prefer a nice cup of Folgers brewed at home on my pot.

I guess it’s different strokes for different folks and all of that but I’d sure miss home cooking if I gave it up.

1 comment:

phx said...

I'm totally with you on this one. The eating out we do do occasionally is sushi, but we usually just get it to go and eat it at home and i still prepare the kids something to eat. Oh and we sometimes go get pizza, but yesterday I picked up a frozen pizza that is way cheaper, and even though i know it won't taste as good, the $ i'll save on that emergency evening when I don't know WHAT to do for dinner is going to make it all worth it. :)