Monday, December 21, 2009

Hurry Up Homemade Crescent Rolls

I will admit when it comes to baking bread that with the exception of cornbread, I believe a suitable replacement can be found in the grocery aisles. I figure as long as Pillsbury makes biscuits in a can there is no reason for me to whip some out from scratch. Hubby prefers canned biscuits over the much better frozen ones. However, as I’ve gotten older, the lure of baking has drawn me in and I’ve been willing to experiment with homemade bread.

The following recipe was in the December issue of Southern Living. It looked easy so I tried it. My rolls did not rise to double their size as the recipe says. I’m not sure if I did something wrong or if it’s just too dang cold to get a rise out of them. I will warn you that the consistency of these rolls are more like a biscuit than a traditional canned crescent roll. That’s not a bad thing but it might shock you if you are expecting a true Pillsbury-esque roll. I would make these again. Also, I used a heavy stand up mixer as described in the note below.

Hurry Up Homemade Crescent Rolls


Hands-on Time: 25 min.; Total Time: 1 hr., 40 min.
Yield: Makes 1 dozen

Ingredients
1 (1/4-oz.) envelope active dry yeast
3/4 cup warm water (105° to 115°)
3 to 3 1/2 cups all-purpose baking mix
2 tablespoons sugar
All-purpose flour

Preparation
1. Combine yeast and warm water in a 1-cup measuring cup; let stand 5 minutes. Combine 3 cups baking mix and sugar in a large bowl; gradually stir in yeast mixture.
2. Turn dough out onto a floured surface, and knead, adding additional baking mix (up to 1/2 cup) as needed, until dough is smooth and elastic (about 10 minutes).
3. Roll dough into a 12-inch circle; cut circle into 12 wedges. Roll up wedges, starting at wide end, to form a crescent shape; place, point sides down, on a lightly greased baking sheet. Cover and let rise in a warm place (85°), free from drafts, 1 hour or until doubled in bulk.
4. Preheat oven to 425°. Bake 10 to 12 minutes or until golden.

Note: To make rolls in a heavy-duty electric stand mixer, prepare as directed in Step 1. Beat dough at medium speed, using dough hook attachment, about 5 minutes, beating in 1/2 cup additional baking mix, if needed, until dough leaves the sides of the bowl and pulls together, becoming soft and smooth. Proceed with recipe as directed in Step 3. We tested with Bisquick All-Purpose Baking Mix.

To Make Ahead: Rolls may be frozen up to 2 months. Bake at 425ยบ for 5 minutes; cool completely (about 30 minutes). Wrap in aluminum foil, and freeze in an airtight container. Thaw at room temperature on a lightly greased baking sheet; bake at 425° for 7 to 8 minutes or until golden.

Southern Living, DECEMBER 2009

No comments: