Monday, November 2, 2009

It's Beginning to Look a Lot Like.....Christmas??!

Fall is my favorite season. I love the colorful leaves, the mild temperatures, football and hot chocolate on a cool evening. This past Friday was possibly the perfect fall day. The sun was shining brightly, temperature was in the low 70s and a persistent wind was blowing leaves everywhere. Wonderful!

So it seemed sad to me to hear from a co-worker that her neighbor used this perfect weather to put up Christmas decorations. Now, I understand their thinking. It is surely easier to put up lights and bows when the weather is 70 instead of 30. But it also seems to me that every year we rush the season more and more. Three weeks ago when I went to Hobby Lobby in search of Halloween crafts for my niece, I found that most of the Halloween items had been shoved into a half aisle space and Christmas had taken over.

Yesterday’s Sunday sales papers were full of Christmas candy and other holiday items and Toys r Us had their “big” toy book in this week’s paper.

Maybe I’m a scrooge. Maybe it’s because I LOVE Thanksgiving. Maybe I’m crazy to think that it is fun to bundle up in ten layers and still have your fingers go numb as you put up decorations in the freezing cold. I don’t know. But I think there is a time and place for Christmas and this ain’t it.

No comments: