Thursday, September 24, 2009

Hot Dog Chili

Growing up, my mom made this chili recipe. It was tasty but I really prefer a more "soupy" chili with beans that you can load down with cheese and crackers. This chili works great as a hot dog topper or in a taco salad or nachos.

My famously picky husband loves this chili. And since he does not eat burgers or dogs on the grill, I have to make a pot wheneve we have a cookout because he won't eat the "cooked out" food. I made a pot last weekend for tailgating. Someone at our tailgate party called it "hot dog sauce".

Whatever you call it, it is quite good. Although I do admit, my mom's is better and since we make it the same way, that puzzles me.

Hot Dog Chili

2 lb ground beef
1 medium onion
28 oz can of crushed tomatoes
2 tablespoons chili powder
1 teaspoon cumin
Salt
Dash of sugar

Brown ground beef and drain fat. Chop onion and process in food processor for about 15 seconds until it’s beat up pretty well. Add the can of tomatoes and process for another 15 or 20 seconds.* Combine ground beef and onion/tomato mixture in a heavy pot. Add chili powder and cumin, and a dash of salt and sugar. Simmer for 2 to 3 hours until desired consistency.
*The food processor step is optional. I do it to “hide” the onions and tomatoes. You can also just finely chop the onion and use the tomatoes as they are from the can.

How do you top your dog???

No comments: