Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Make Your Own Taco Seasoning

Last week, I ended up with leftover ground beef and decided tacos would be good. I thought to myself, better add taco seasoning to the grocery list. But then I thought, why? I have chili powder and cumin and really what else could be in there. So I surfed the web for a while and came up with several variations of a taco mix. I adapted it to fit what I had on hand and came up with this:

Taco Seasoning
2 teaspoons onion powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon chili powder
1/2 teaspoon crushed red peppers
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon oregano
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon hot paprika

Combine all ingredients and store in an airtight container or plastic bag.

The verdict? Good! It had the same taste of the store bought except the red pepper flakes gave it more kick. I don't think I'll be buying the packets anymore.

No comments: