Thursday, June 3, 2010

Sugar Cream Pie

A few weeks ago, my hubby watched Paula Deen with me and this sugar cream pie caught his eye. I also thought it looked simple and yummy so I decided to try it. I usually read the reviews before I try a Food Network recipe. To say the reviews of this are mixed would be an understatement. People seemed to be either raving about the pie or slamming it. One of the great controversies was whether or not to whip the whipping cream. The recipe does not say to whip but on the video clip, Paula’s cream does appear to be whipped. There were also comments that the baking time is not long enough and many people wrote that their pie did not set correctly.

After much debate, I decided to follow the recipe as written except that I did add a teaspoon of vanilla and I used cinnamon instead of nutmeg. It turned out wonderfully. Served cold, it’s a very cool and creamy dessert. It is extremely sweet and rich. Hubby wasn’t crazy about it but both of our mothers and I liked it. I would make it again.

Ingredients
• 1 1/3 cups sugar
• 1/2 cup all-purpose flour, unsifted
• 1/2 pint (1 cup) whipping cream
• 3/4 cup milk
• 1 (9-inch) unbaked pie shell
• 2 tablespoons butter, cut into small pieces
• Pinch nutmeg

Directions

Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.

Combine sugar, flour, cream, and milk in a mixing bowl. Pour into pie shell. Dot butter bits all around top of pie. Sprinkle with nutmeg. Bake for approximately 10 minutes, and then reduce the heat to 350 degrees F and cook for approximately 30 more minutes. Cool to room temperature and then refrigerate until chilled. Serve chilled.

Cook's Note: If using a glass baking dish, lower oven temperature by 25 degrees F.

No comments: