Monday, April 12, 2010

Trying Something New: Indian Food

I had a totally new experience on Good Friday. I tried Indian food for the first time.

Ethnic food was a rare thing when I was growing up. It still boggles my mind that my hometown now has both a Chinese and a Mexican eatery. Where was that when I was kid? The town where I live now is slightly more diverse. We have several Chinese places, a couple of Mexican places (my favorite!), Thai, Japanese (I’ve grown to love sushi), Greek, and now a new Indian restaurant.

Going in, I knew little to nothing about Indian food. Thankfully, they serve a lunch buffet so I could pick out what looked good. The smell was wonderful when we walked in, spicy, but wonderful. Most of the dishes were chicken based, although I did try ground lamb with peas, and a vegetarian dish. The food was excellent. It had a great deal of comfort food appeal as it was warm and rich but not heavy. I would definitely go back.

I’m still a little hazy on how to pronounce some of the things I ate. I probably couldn’t order off the menu very successfully. But I love trying new food and am glad we are getting some diverse offerings in our town.

Do you like trying new types of food? What’s your favorite ethnic food?

No comments: