Thursday, May 21, 2009

Sweet Potato Fries

One of the challenges I face in eating healthier is that there aren’t a lot of vegetables that I like. Actually, I guess I like a fair amount of vegetables, it’s just the style of preparing them that I prefer isn’t so healthy. Broccoli is so much better with cheese, and zucchini and okra are definitely tastier fried at least to this Southern girl. I’m always on the lookout for a way to include more veggies in my diet. One veggie I often overlook is that humble sweet potato.

If you read me regularly, you know my hubby loves potatoes. His affection does not extend to sweet potatoes though and I tend to forget about this sweet spud. Earlier in the week, wandering around the produce aisle I spotted sweet potatoes and threw a couple in the cart.

I ended up making oven baked sweet potato fries. They were terrific!

Here’s what I did:
Preheated oven to 400 degrees.
Sliced one medium sweet potato into fries/wedges. Tossed the wedges with a tsp or two of canola oil.
Spread fries/wedges on a sprayed cookie sheet. Salt generously.
Bake for about 20 minutes until crispy, turning the fries/wedges over after 10 minutes.

I like my "normal" potato wedges crispy to the point of being burned. When you prepare sweet potatoes like that, it makes for a very sweet burned sugar taste.

Sweet potatoes are high in fiber, beta carotene, vitamin C and vitamin B6 and are just all around good for you. But you’d never know it by the great taste.

No comments: