Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Recipe Review: Skillet Pizza Dough

I was psyched to see recipes for Skillet Pizzas in February's issue of Everyday with Rachael Ray because I'm always looking for reasons to use my cast iron skillets AND I really need to experiment with my new mixer. Since my efforts to make bread tanked, I was nervous but determined to make a decent pizza crust. This recipe didn't disappoint.

Skillet Pizza Dough
3/4 cup lukewarm water
1 tablespoon active dry yeast
1 teaspoon sugar
2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt
3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil

In small bowl, stir together the lukewarm water, yeast and sugar. Let stand until foamy, 3-5 minutes. (Sure enough, a little foam will appear on top)

Using a standing mixer (yah!), mix the flour and salt at a low speed. Mix in the yeast mixture and olive oil until a shaggy dough forms.

Change to the dough hook attachment and mix at medium speed until smooth, about 6 minutes. Transfer the dough to a greased, large mixing bowl, turning to coat; cover with plastic wrap and let rise until doubled in size, 45 minutes to 1 hour. Punch down the dough before using.

Press the pizza dough into a greased 9-inch to 10-inch cast-iron skillet and let rise until double in size, 20-30 minutes.

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Brush dough lightly with additional olive oil.
Top pizza dough with your favorite pizza toppings, leaving a 1/2-inch border (do not add the cheese yet).

Bake until golden and bubbly, about 25 minutes.

Sprinkle the cheese bake until the cheese is melted, about 5 minutes.

Let cool in pan for about 20 minutes before serving.

To me the dough was a little too thick so I think next time I will either bake it on my stove or divide the dough and make a 9 inch and a smaller one in my 6 inch skillet. The taste is great though and I was happy that it turned out the way it was supposed to. (Yes, I suffer from yeast intimidation). Will definitely make it again!

No comments: