Friday, January 2, 2009

Broccoli Casserole

I'm sharing this recipe as part of the Grocery Cart Challenge's Recipe Swap. Check it out all the great recipes over there!

Broccoli Casserole is one of my favorite side dishes during the holiday season. I'm not sure why we only make it for the holidays but you know how it is. Some things are just tradition. I've seen several variations of this dish, some involving creamy soups and mayonaise. This version is the one my family has been making for years.

Broccoli Casserole

2 boxes (10 oz) of frozen chopped broccoli
8 oz Velveeta
1 stick butter
24 Ritz crackers (more or less depending on how much of a topping you want)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Warm the broccoli either by microwaving it (that's what I do) or steaming it on the stove with water. Drain well. Arrange broccoli in casserole dish. In a medium saucepan, melt half of the stick of butter. Add the Velveeta (cut it into chunks to make it melt faster). Keep stirring it until it's melted and smooth. Pour over broccoli. Crush crackers and layer on top. Melt remaining half stick of butter and pour on top. Bake for 30 to 35 minutes or until nice and bubbly.

Pssst....go here for a $1 off Velveeta coupon.

2 comments:

Gayle said...

I love broccoli. Thanks for the recipe and love that you added a coupon link. Good thinking!

goooooood girl said...

your blog is so good......