Sunday, November 23, 2008

Where I've Been

I've been out of town for the past couple of days. My husband and I along with his family took a weekend trip to Pigeon Forge, Tennessee.

I love Pigeon Forge. As a kid, it was our vacation destination. Back then, there were bumper boat rides everywhere, go-karts, shows like the Water Circus, and places like Porpoise Island which was kind of a Southern Sea World. There was a lot of Indian themed stuff since there is a Cherokee settlement right over the mountain in North Carolina. I remember having a full headdress, rubber spear and tom-tom drum. You could buy moccasions everywhere. Oh, and bears. Everything has bears on it.

Now it's mostly outlet malls and hotels. And of course, Dollywood is still there. It's amazing how much a place can change yet still remain the same. So many of the places there have looked the same for the past thirty years.

The shopping was good this weekend. Maybe it's because of the crappy economy but the markdowns were great. Traffic wasn't bad. A good time was had.

My husband and I were married in Pigeon Forge two years ago. Another happy memory to keep of this wonderfully tacky, happy place.

No comments: