Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Mr. Food's Chili Beef Soup

Last night, I made Mr. Food's Chili Beef Soup. I tried taking pictures but my food photography is not much particularly in the soup area. It was tasty though.

Chili Beef Soup



1/2 pound ground beef
1 medium-sized onion, chopped
1 (14-1/2-ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
1-1/2 cups water
1 (16-ounce) can kidney beans, undrained
1 (8-ounce) can whole kernel corn, drained
1 (8-ounce) can tomato sauce
1 teaspoon chili powder

In a soup pot, brown ground beef and onion over medium heat 5 to 7 minutes. Add remaining ingredients; mix thoroughly.

Reduce heat to low and simmer, uncovered, for 30 minutes, or until thoroughly heated.

That's how Mr. Food does it. I totally did not follow.

1) I sprinkled the ground beef with onion powder while it browned rather than using an onion.
2) I omitted the canned tomatoes, tomato sauce and water. In place of those items, I used tomato juice.
3) I used leftover pinto beans (rinsed) instead of kidney beans.
4) In addition to chili powder, I also used cumin.
5) Topped it off with a little sour cream and shredded cheese.

I served with leftover corn bread.

No comments: