Saturday, November 15, 2008

Minda's Magic Meatballs

I make a lot of meatballs during the holidays. My husband is very picky, as you have heard me say many times, and during holiday parties and potlucks he has a hard time finding something to eat. To keep him from being limited to Mt. Dew and Ritz crackers, I make meatballs as my contribution to the party. From Thanksgiving to Super Bowl, it's meatball season at our house. I passed along the recipe to my sister-in-law last year and jokingly called it "Minda's Magic Meatballs". The name stuck.

I confess to using frozen meatballs. And the sauce is very simple. Last year I read a so-so novel called The Single Wife (if you're compelled to Google, why not use my search box at top left?). One of the subplot lines was a secret meatball recipe that turned out to be this one! Small meatball world, huh?

Minda's Magic Meatballs

2/3 cup of chili sauce
2/3 cup of grape jelly
2 one pound bags of frozen meatballs

Warm meatballs according to package directions. I use the microwave but if you have the oven fired up, you could heat them there as well.
In a sauce pan, combine chili sauce and grape jelly. Stir over medium heat until jelly is melted and sauce is warm throughout.
Hint: I usually put the chili sauce in first and let it warm a little before adding the jelly. It helps the jelly melt faster.
Pour warm sauce over meatballs. Prepare for compliments.

This is a great finger food for the office potluck because you can prepare it rather quickly in the morning, put it in a crockpot and let it simmer on low all day.

Variations:
I have also seen recipes where you use cranberry sauce and chili sauce.
Bottled barbecue sauce works well in a pitch (and is Hubby approved).
I taste tested at Sam's Club a version with bottled teriyaki sauce. I haven't tried it myself but I plan to at some point.

No comments: