Sunday, September 21, 2008

Easy Cheesy Chicken Nachos

I love nachos! But what I don't love is the fat and calories in the chicken nachos that I get at places like Qdoba. I recently found out that the chicken nachos at the Qdoba-esque place on campus have almost 1,600 calories. Yikes! What's a girl to do? Lighten it up of course! Here's what I whipped up Friday night after work when I was jonesing for nachos. These taste super yummy, can be made faster than you can go through a drive-thru and are much lighter than their takeout cousins.

You will need:

One can of Rotel tomatoes and chiles
1/2 pound of Velveeta 2% Cheese (the cheese product formerly known as Velveeta Light)
1 5oz can of white meat chicken (I used Hormel)
Tortilla chips, the lighter the better (I use Snyder's of Hanover because they contain 2g of fiber per serving)

Combine tomatoes, cheese and chicken and microwave until cheese is melted and the sauce is smooth. I usually nuke for one minute, stir, then nuke again in 30 second intervals. Pretty simple, huh? Pour over chips and top with light sour cream and jalapenos if desired.

No comments: